The Sir Edward Youde Memorial Overseas Fellowship / Scholarship for Disabled Students aims at financing outstanding disabled students for overseas postgraduate or undergraduate studies. They are expected to contribute significantly to the development of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Hong Kong) after graduation.
- Applicants must:
- be permanent residents of Hong Kong;
- have received at least seven and five years of continuous full-time education in Hong Kong for fellowship and scholarship respectively;
- hold good Honours degrees obtained in Hong Kong or equivalent qualifications OR expect to obtain such degrees or equivalent qualifications (applicable for fellowship applicants only);
- fulfill all application procedures and admission requirements at the institution of their choices and be offered places subsequently;
- have a good mastery of the language in which their studies will be undertaken; and
- have special educational needs, including Specific Learning Difficulties, Intellectual Disability, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder, Physical Disability, Visual Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Speech and Language Impairment and / or Mental Illness.
- For further details, please refer to the Information Note of the application year.
The maximum value of award are HK$300,000 and HK$280,000 for fellowship and scholarship respectively per year. The Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council may adjust downward the value by taking into account the actual university fees, necessary living expenses and other award(s) held concurrently by the fellow / scholar to finance his / her overseas studies.
The study programme should only commence within one year after the formal announcement of the selection result in April 2024, i.e. between April 2024 and March 2025. During the application period, all application forms have to be completed and submitted online through “GovHK”. Copy of relevant supporting documents and the Declaration (if any) should be submitted through the drop-in box at / by post to the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council Secretariat.
Commencement Date: 3 July 2023 (Monday)
Closing Date: 8 September 2023 (Friday)
All the above information is for reference only. Details will be announced when the award is open for application.
Do I need to be accepted by my chosen programme(s) at university(ies) / institution(s) outside Hong Kong before applying for the award?
No. Applicants are only required to indicate up to ten combinations of universities / institutions and programmes as choices in their applications. In other words, it is not necessary for applicants to have obtained conditional or unconditional offers from the chosen university(ies) / institution(s) and programme(s) by the time they submit the applications.
I understand that the duration of award for scholarships is up to three years. Will special arrangement be available if I pursue a 4-year degree course, say in USA?
For the fourth year of study, you may apply for an interest-free loan to continue your studies. However, the loan award is subject to a means-test and the Council's agreement.
If I am currently pursuing a study programme outside Hong Kong, am I still eligible to apply for the Fellowship / Scholarship awards?
Applications from students who are pursuing a study programme overseas at the time of application are accepted. However, application for a study programme being currently pursued will NOT be considered. Moreover, the proposed study programme should only commence within one year after the formal announcement of the selection result, which would normally take place in around the next April that follows the closing date of application.
Enquiries should be made to the Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fund Council Secretariat, Room 1217, 12/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon at telephone number 2150 6097 or 2150 6110.