- Interest-free Deferral of Student Loan Repayment
The Finance Committee of the Legislative Council approved on 15 February 2022 an extension of the interest-free deferral of loan repayment for student loan repayers for another two years from 1 April 2022. Please click here for details.
- The ENLS loan(s) borrowed by you and the interest accrued thereon are repayable in 15 years (Repayment Period) by 180 equal monthly instalments, or in a shorter Repayment Period by equal monthly instalments as agreed by the SFO:
- upon graduation; or
- after you have completed the relevant programme(s) / course(s) of study; or
- upon achievement of the requisite number of credits / modules for your programme of study; or
- upon achievement of the required credits for completion of the courses offered by the Hong Kong Metropolitan University; or
- lapse of six years from the first disbursement of the loan, whichever is the earliest.
- If it is determined appropriate by the SFO, the loan borrowed and the interest accrued thereon are repayable within the Repayment Period by equal quarterly instalments. The Repayment Period shall commence after the course has officially ended while the interest shall accrue on the loan as soon as the loan has been advanced until the loan is repaid in full.
after the SFO has advanced/disbursed the loan to you or issued to you by cheque(s) made payable to your institution or its operator/local agency (if applicable), you are required to notify the SFO in writing immediately and repay the ENLS loan in a lump sum or by equal instalments, and if by instalments over a revised Repayment Period, and also interest to accrued under the ENLS loan at the prevailing ENLS interest rate per annum. The length of the ENLS loan Repayment Period, its commencement date, and repayment arrangement shall be decided by the SFO.
- you decide to withdraw from/cease/suspend/defer your studies; or
- you transfer to another programme/institution; or
- you cannot complete your programme(s)/course(s) of study for whatever reason(s); or
- your institution fails to provide the course(s) under application to you for whatever reason(s); or
- you are no longer the eligible student of the programme / institution concerned for whatever reason(s),
- If you are entitled to obtain course fee reimbursement under CEF, the SFO may apply the amount of reimbursement to offset your ENLS loan(s) immediately upon the disbursement of the fee reimbursement. The remaining balance of your ENLS loan(s) (if any) and the interest accrued thereon shall be repaid in the manner as mentioned above. Read More
- If tuition fee reimbursement is granted for your studies of the DYJ/FAEAEC programme, the SFO may apply the amount of reimbursement to offset your ENLS loan(s) immediately upon the disbursement of the tuition fee reimbursement. The remaining balance of your ENLS loan(s) (if any) and the interest accrued thereon shall be repaid in the manner as mentioned above. Read More
- Monthly repayment instalments will normally fall due on first of each calendar month each year. Monthly demand note and notifications will be issued 14 days before each due date as far as practicable.
- In case you have loan accounts repaying with the quarterly repayment arrangement under different financial assistance / loan schemes, the monthly repayment...
- To save interest, you may choose to make early repayment of the loans subject to a minimum amount specified by the SFO.
- To request for early lump sum / partial repayment or restructuring repayment period of loan borrowed under the ENLS, you may:
- come in-person or appoint your representative with your signed authorisation letter to the SFO during office hours(Monday to Friday 8:45 a.m. - 1:00p.m. & 2:00p.m. - 5:45p.m.); or
- send in your early lump sum / partial repayment request or restructuring repayment period request in writing, by post, fax or e-mail or "SFO E-link" (“SFO E-link is applicable for applying for early lump sum / partial repayment only”).Please refer to "Early Partial / Lump Sum Repayment of Loan under Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (NLS)" (SFO 186)and “Restructuring Repayment Period of Loan under Non-means-tested Loan Scheme (NLS)” (SFO 279_E) for relevant terms and conditions.
- All applications for early lump sum / partial repayment or restructuring repayment period must be made in-person or submitted in written form. No verbal request would be entertained.
- Non-receipt of demand note for repayment does not exempt you from the obligation to repay the instalment due on or before the due date. If repayment is not made on or before the date the instalment becomes due, you will be required to repay with the Government the amount of the overdue instalment together with overdue interest as set out in paragraph 12.8 of Application Guidance Notes.