For Students of Primary & Secondary Level:
Enhanced travel subsidy for needy special school students
- The initiative funded by Community Care Fund (CCF) to provide enhanced support to needy students of special schools to subsidise their daily travelling expenses to and from schools will be incorporated into the Government’s regular assistance programme starting from the 2015/16 school year.
- Needy primary and secondary students of special schools (applicable to those suffering from physical disability, visual impairment, hearing impairment and intellectual disability) meeting the eligibility criteria of the Student Travel Subsidy Scheme can receive an extra 50% of student travel subsidy on top of their regular travel subsidy in order to enhance the support to needy students of special schools to meet their travelling expenses. Please refer to here for details.
For Students of Post-secondary Level:
Enhancing the academic expenses grant for students with special educational needs and financial needs pursuing post-secondary programmes
- The Commission on Poverty approved on 27 March 2015 the allocation of funds from the CCF for enhancing the academic expenses grant for post-secondary students with special educational needs and financial needs in order to strengthen the support for these students.
- Each eligible student will be offered an additional academic expenses grant of up to $8,000 every year. The actual amount of subsidy receivable is to be determined with respect to the student’s level of assistance assessed in the means test of the Student Finance Office (SFO).
- This programme will be implemented for three years from the 2015/16 to 2017/18 academic year.